Friday, March 20, 2009

Choosing The God Parents

I noticed as soon as i mentioned i was pregnant one of the first questions people would ask was "Who is the God mother", and up to this day people still ask. Of course these questions annoy me because here i am trying to get through my pregnancy in one piece and hoping that my child comes out with all her limbs attached and all they can focus on is who God mother going to be? Honestly, i haven't thought that far down the line. All i've been dreaming about is what she will look like, what she will sound like, will she chat nuff like Kwame? or will she be somewhat shy and quiet like me lol and more importantly will it really be a she? ha. Wouldn't that be something? People trust me i'm not being miserable and what not, it's just once you are in my shoes you will realize that certain things people focus on are just not important at the time. Of course finding God parents for the child is important but my thing is, she aint born yet. I have lots of time, the baby doesn't have to be baptized within the first 3 months or 6 months, shucks she could get baptized at age one if i so choose. This is a very important decision, so i'd rather not rush and regret it in the end.

The million and 10 questions prompted me to do a research on what a God parent really is cause to tell you the truth i really didn't know much about it. I do have 2 God children and sometimes i regret saying yes because i do not live in the same country as the children and i don't get the chance to chill with them and get to know them. Most people get in it for the hype..i think i did because i was young and i thought it was cool to be a God parent and i do not want to make the same mistake with my child. The information i came across was very helpful and by having conversations with Kwame we pretty much know what we are looking for in the person/s we choose as God Parent/s.

I liked this little outline of choosing a God Parent.

When you are having a baby, choosing a godparent for your child can be one of the most important tasks you undertake in these beginning days of your child’s life. Choosing a godparent should not be a popularity contest nor should you feel pressured to choose a family member simply because it is ‘their turn’ or because they are your brother or sister. A godparent is someone who promises to guide your child in his faith and help to raise him the way you wanted him raised in the event of your demise. It is a mistake to pick a godparent assuming that nothing will happen to you and it doesn’t really matter who you choose.

Never choose a friend to be a godparent unless you have no suitable family members. Friends often move on and lose touch and someone who you are no longer in contact with is not likely to come back into your child’s life simply because you are gone. Friends often don’t take the godparent role seriously. Choose someone in your family that you know will be a responsible and willing recipient of the honor. The godparent of your child should share your faith if possible, if they are to continue your child’s education and guidance after you are gone. It is difficult for someone to guide another person in something they are not familiar with.

Be sure your choice of godparent is aware of your wishes where your child is concerned. A godparent is not necessarily the person who your child is left to when you die, be clear about these things in your will. Try and keep your child familiar and close with his godparents so that he is comfortable receiving guidance from them if the need arises.

Always talk to your prospects before making a final decision, be sure they share your vision and also, be sure they are willing to take on the responsibility. It is not wrong to tell your candidates that you are still thinking about it and want to get some more information about how they think they would handle the situation. This is a serious decision and should be arrived at carefully and responsibly.

4 comments:

  1. This is madness! Maybe about a month b4 I left for TT, I was thinking about my Godparents. One of them I don't recall ever meeting or having any kind of relationship with. I know his name, saw a picture of him ages ago and that he is my father's friend, but outside of that I have no clue who this man is. The other I know and love. She is my mother's close friend. I spent a whole chunk of my childhood getting to know her, we lived together at some point and though as an adult I haven't talked to her in more than 5 years, I love her to death. I know I could call her up and talk to her like we spoke yesterday.

    Needless to say, yes this is a VERY important decision and most definitely shouldn't be rushed...especially not now. I like the "it's not a popularity contest" statement. I know too many people who are Godparents just for show and all I can think is God forbid anything happen to that child's parents.

    This getting long eh? Anyway, you have no worries because if the godparents flop you have enough people that know and love you all who will support you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. had no idea it was such a deal to people. IF notice the big IF I have a child,I wasn't even thinking of godparents.Its neither here or there. No mek dem stress u. Well u know how to handle yourself so u won't let that get to u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally made me realize i DIDNT know the TRUE definition of a God parent.. Good stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  4. didnt know that being a Godparent was so much, thank God ur pregnant orica i can learn some stuffs from you, like how to be a God mother if someone in there not so right mind decided to take a risk and give me that position.Frizzle

    ReplyDelete